Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Technology enriched environments

Last time I started talking about the Nation Educational Technology Standard #2 for teachers (NETS*T2), and focused a lot on the aspect of designing learning experiences which use digital tools in the classroom. This week I would like to focus on indicator B - develop technology-enriched learning environments that enable all students to pursue their individual curiosities and become active participants in setting their own educational goals, managing their own learning, and assessing their own progress.


In my music classroom it has always been difficult to create an atmosphere that included technology right there in the classroom. However, after starting my graduate course I have already been trying to find new and exciting ways to create this technology enriched environment. The first way I have tried, and mentioned a couple weeks ago, was by checking out one of our schools portable laptop carts to allow the students to use the computers in our classroom for research.

My next step, which I am very excited about, is being able to use the new smart board technology that is being installed in all of the classrooms - including mine! At first I have to admit that I was not looking forward to this, because I had no idea how I could use it. But, now I have done so much thinking about different projects I could have the students actively engaged in right there in my classroom by using this technology. With programs such as Finale or Sibelius I can have my students writing their own music and then listening to is as the computer plays it back for them. There are so many opportunities out there and I cant wait to start exploring them in my new technology enriched environment.

2 comments:

  1. Scott-I wish I could be one of your students. Technology in the music industry has come such a long way. I feel there is so much untapped talent out there, American Idol 2.3..4... Seriously, I feel technology has greatly enhance musical composition. I just wish I could afford some of it so I could get my children involved. They both love music and are talented. Good post. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Scott: I read in Time magazine (not the most recent issue - maybe the one before it - of the technology that allows the producers to manipulate singers' voices and put them perfectly on key, and how it's revolutionizing the industry. It was a fascinating read. I wonder if you saw this, and if there was some way this technology could be implemented in your classroom. As I recall, the technology didn't cost that much.

    I'm sure the article is archived at time.com. I'll try to find it for you.

    ReplyDelete