Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Trying something new

This past week I have been insanely busy trying to prepare my drama troupe for their upcoming performance of the Broadway musical "You're a Good Man Charlie Brown" (Feb. 27 & 28.....shameless plug!!) and it really has me thinking about ways that I can improve communication within the group outside of rehearsals.

We don't really have a website or anything to post information to, have discussions on, or even just have fun with. It's always been something that I've wanted for my group, but my lack of website design knowledge has prevented me from trying.

In the rare few seconds of free-time that I had this weekend I decided to try to make a wiki page which could be used to post rehearsal notes, pictures and have a place for the students and parents to be able to check out what is going on. So, I signed up for a free wiki page using wikispaces.com and have set out to create KingsBackstagePass (Thanks for the name idea Jim!). So far the site is still only being designed and has not been made available to users, but I hope to have the site working in time for our next major production. I am coming across some limitations due to the settings the company has placed on free sites. So far I can either make the space public (open to anyone), or private (open to only approved people) but I can not mix them. In other words, if I wanted my homepage to be public, but for the page dedicated to "Charlie Brown" to be private for cast members only I can not because of the limitations.

There are defiantly some kinks to work out, but at least I am trying something new and opening up myself to the ideas of web 2.0 and the 21st century classroom.

3 comments:

  1. I really think this is a great idea! I was involved in my drama program in high school and having a web page like this would have been so helpful. Instead of having announcements made at the end of each day for who's practicing and when (and hope that the students hear it) you can have a specific site set up for this information.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good idea Scott. I hope you get the "kinks" worked out. I think wikispace can be a very effective networking tool. However, understanding it's capabilities and limitations will take some time (for me). Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Scott,

    I'm also a teacher that is creating this in isolation because of my district's limited technology--but I think my experience with the wikispace and creating creative ways for students to communicate with technology could help my district and my fellow co-workers. I hope to follow your trials and tribulations as you create a wikispace to meet your students' and parents' needs.

    ReplyDelete